This hearty, hot, amazing dish is perfect for those snowy nights. While it doesn’t have seafood, it is undeniably chowder at it’s best. Don’t be afraid to double the recipe, this soup freezes great!
- 3 Cups diced Beck Farms super sweet carrots
- 1 Medium onion chopped
- 1 Red or Green Pepper chopped
- 1 Stalk Celery chopped
- 1 Can Mushrooms drained (reserve liquid for broth)
- 1/3 Cup Margarine or Butter
- 3/4 Tsp. Salt
- 1/8 Tsp. Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. fresh Basil or 1 tsp. dried
- 1/3 Cup Flour
- 1 Can (10oz) Chicken Broth
- 1 Can Kernel Corn
- 1/4 Cup minced Parsley, or 1/8 dried flakes
- 1 Can (13 oz) Evaporated Milk
METHOD / DIRECTIONS
- In a 5-quart saucepan, sauté onion, pepper, celery and mushrooms in the butter/margarine until barely tender.
- Cook diced carrots until barely tender in separate pot.
- Add carrots to other vegetables, and add salt, pepper, and basil. Stir in flour, chicken broth and juice from mushrooms.
- Stir until mixture thickens.
- Add corn and parsley.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Just before serving, add evaporated milk, cover and heat slowly, about 10 minutes.
Use Beck Farms Super Sweet Carrots to make this soup extra delicious. They’re available at Innisfail Growers booth from August to March.